In celebration of Air Max Day, Nike will be hosting LONDON: ON AIR, a workshop series inviting London creatives to take part in the Nike footwear design processes.
Creative Londoners, here's your chance to make your mark on Nike. By signing up for the company's creative sessions, participants can submit their very own concept for a London Air Max based on existing icons.
From the submissions received in the workshops, Skepta, streetwear designer Alexandra Hackett, Nike Senior Design Director Nate Jobe and Nike VP Creative Director of Colour Design will select three individual Air Max concepts to develop into 3D designs.
After the judging process, the three shortlisted ideas will be put forward into global Nike: ON AIR voting hub -- where the world will be invited to vote on the London Air Max design they want to make a reality.
Read the session breakdown below and apply here before tomorrow's (April 4, 2018) closing deadline.
The workshop includes the following five stages of footwear product creation:
1. Concept development: Participants will explore ideas and research the subject of the design brief and form the initial story behind their concept.
2. Silhouette selection: The program’s silhouettes will be revealed and, in partnership with Nike designers and guest mentors, the participants will select the one that best fits their respective concept.
3. Material exploration: Nike designers will lead a deep dive into material theory, exploring a variety of swatches to select the elements of the chosen silhouette’s upper.
4. Colour exploration: Participants will get a lesson in colour theory and be guided through the process of selecting colours that best express the intent of their concept.
5. Embellishment: Participants will learn about and apply post-embellishment techniques ranging from laser engraving to embroidery, the final steps in bringing their imagined vision to life.